Tuesday, December 7, 2010

BEES!

Our January program will be on backyard beekeeping, colony collapse disorder, and will also host special honey tasting!



Our speaker will be Chris Hiatt of Hiatt Honey Company.

From Chris:


A study by Cornell University found that every third bite of food we consume is a result of honeybee pollination. Over the last three years more than one in three honey bee colonies has died nationwide, posing a serious risk to our natural food supply.


One cause of these losses is a phenomenon called Colony Collapse Disorder, or “CCD.” When a hive experiences CCD, the honey bees mysteriously desert their hive and die. I will discuss this along with how to maintain a hive in your backyard and how to follow local laws. In addition, I will talk about and show pictures of a normal year in beekeeping, including many of the different crops our bees pollinate.


I am co-owner of Hiatt Honey Company which is one of the largest beekeeping outfits in the country. It was started by my father 43 years ago. I received a Bachelor's in Horticulture from Brigham Young University, and have started to farm almonds on the side. I am married and have three girls and a baby boy. In my "spare" time (ie. whenever my wife agrees to it), I like to go birding and ride my dirtbike.


Please Join Us on Tuesday, January 11 at 7:30 p.m.

All programs are held at the University of California Center, located at 550 E. Shaw Avenue in Fresno (see map).

No comments: